MAIMONIDES CENTER (FORMER ORPHANAGE FOR JEWISH GIRLS)
- Zugriffe: 3680
Charlotte "Lotty" Merores-Itzeles (1826 - 1896) bequeathed all her fortune to founding an orphanage for Jewish girls.
The orphanage was built in Döbling at Bauernfeldgasse 4 in 1902. In 1942 the house was confiscated by the Nazi government.
In 1972 the Jewish retirement home for Vienna was built at the same place, which was named Maimonides Center. The majority of the residents were concentration camps survivors and required special care and treatment.
Jewish orphans at Bauernfeldgasse 4
A new facility for the retirement home was opened in 2009 on the IKG-Campus together with the Jewish school and Hakoah Sport Center. Nowadays the Maimonides Center serves as a sanatorium, offering a number of services and treatments for the elderly.